Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

When you only have some cold rice left...

I have a full-time job and I teach fitness and Chinese in the evening... so when I get home at 9 p.m., cooking is not what I want to do the most :p


And very often, since I don't find time to do grocery shopping between my activities, there's sometimes hardly anything left...

In that case, what I do the most is fried rice, because I have always some cold rice left (well, I know this is such an Asian thing, but if you don't have any THEN MAKE SOME RICE LOL).
Thai jasmin rice is my favorite but I find it a bit too dry and hard for fried rice, so I often go for Chinese round rice to make my fried rice...

I have these things found in my fridge:

  • eggs

  • some chopped vegetable

  • a green pepper

  • chive

  • pre-cooked chicken ham

  • a red chilli pepper

For those who are not familiar with Asian cuisine, thai fish sauce is a must-have to add an exotic flavor to your Asian plates. You can find it in all the Asian grocery stores.

Add some salt and black pepper in your eggs and mix the yolk and the egg white.


Put some oil (vegetable one: soy for example) in a pre-heated frying pan (a wok is better, but I don't have one, sorry....)

Cook your eggs and cut them into small pieces and put them aside for use later....

Add oil in the pan and cook your vegetables, put salt and pepper and put them aside with the eggs...

Now, add oil (yes, again!) and put your cold rice in the pan, put salt and pepper according to your taste and mix it to make sure the rice is hot. Then put everything in the rice (the ham, the vegetable and the egg).

Put some water (about 2 soup spoons) and fish sauce in your fried rice, add the chive and the red pepper at the end to keep the herbs fresh (not over-cooked). Mix everything well then serve it alone as it is...
Enjoy!

1 comment: